Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How do I hook up an aftermarket stereo in my 1986 cadillac coupe deville?

Im trying to install an aftermarket stereo in my 1986 cadillac coupe deville. I bougt the wiring harness and the dash kit. i connected the wiring harness by connecting all the wires according to color, but now I have a yellow wire and an orange wire that aren't connected anywhere. I also think I might have blown a fuse because I cannot get power to the stereo unit or my fuel indicator lights. Please Help. Thanks|||Is this a FWD model? I had an 88 caddy once... dont hook up the orange, the yellow has to be hooked up to CONSTANT 12v source.





So the yellow wire off the head unit (make sure the owners manual says its the 12c constant/memory wire) has to be hooked up to a constant 12v source.





(orange is illumination, dont hook it up)





Check all your fuses, of course.|||http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/402.html - here is all the colors of what wires and where they go... The site is great





Here is the page deticated to Cadillacs... http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclwiring/1/yeard/Cadillac.html

Report Abuse


|||The yellow wire is for the constant power for the head unit. It powers the memory. The orange wire is for a power antenna. It isn't needed. Connect the yellow wire to a constant power lead at the fuse panel. There actually should be a constant power lead in the stock harness. Unless your particular 86 came with an analog deck stock. If it did, just extend the wire to your fuse panel. As for the possibility of a blown fuse, check your fuse panel. They are usually quite easy to tell if they are blown. Look on the diagram for a fuse location labelled stereo/radio and one labelled dash lighting or instrument panel.|||I think your yellow wire is your hot wire if is from the stereo and goes to the battery I'm not sure about the orange about the fuse I think you are right so check all the fuses look at your fuse guide in the cover of you fuse box check the fuse on the stereo too the other wire the red one goes to the accessories meaning it gets power only when you turn the key on check all this and recheck your connections maybe there's something out of plce.|||reference the wires on the aftermarket radio (they should be labeled) to the wiring diagram for the Caddy. make sure that you have all of the wires hooked up correctly and that the ground,constant and remote wires are hooked up correctly. that should give you power at least. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment